Day 129 - Agra - The Taj Mahal


Leaving Varanasi, Tola and I both felt ready for Agra. Varanasi is one of the most overwhelming places I have ever been, but by the time we left I felt like I had conquered the small alleys and touts. Our time in Varanasi was a time of learning and observing.

Agra felt very welcoming when we arrived, and during the first few minutes, Tola and I both felt that Agra was a lot more laid back than Varanasi. The people at our hotel were some of the nicest and hospitable people we have met so far, and we really enjoyed the historical sights of Agra.


Agra was a city where Tola and I felt relaxed, and the streets were easier to walk along compared to the crowded alleys of Varanasi. We also did our first real sight seeing that felt touristy, and Agra was a really nice place to ride around in an auto rickshaw and see the sights.



One day was spent seeing the smaller sights of Agra. We visited a tomb nicknamed the "Baby Taj," and it was a great first sight to see. The Baby Taj sits quietly along the Yamuna River of Agra, and it is a beautiful building with delicate details. After the Baby Taj, we went to another smaller tomb along the Yamuna River, and this was mostly a place to view another part of the river. The rivers in India are places where there is so much activity. It feels like one could spend hours observing the people washing clothes in the river, kids playing with their friends, and the cows walking through the waters slowly. After enjoying the river, we went to a park that was a great place to view the Taj Mahal from a distance. As we walked closer to the Taj Mahal, it almost felt like it was just the two of us and the beautiful Taj Mahal. Looking at the Taj Mahal in person was such a strange feeling for me because it is a building that I have seen in so many pictures (throughout my life), and now I was actually looking at it in person.




After spending the day exploring Agra, we ended the day by eating at a rooftop restaurant that overlooked Agra. The restaurant was also an amazing place to view the Taj Mahal at sunset. Our dinner view was probably one of the best views I have had while eating. Looking at the Taj Mahal, the people sitting on their rooftops, and the kites flying in the sky was incredible. I felt like I was in a dream land, and the sights surrounding were unforgettable. It was also enjoyable to watch the monkeys sitting on the roof tops of buildings, and at one point one of the waitors came out with what looked like a pellet gun. Everyone sitting at the restaurant looked a bit startled as the waitor starting pointing his gun at the monkeys, but he informed us all that we had no need to worry. Apparantely the monkeys occasionally decide to visit the restaurant and they take food and sometimes cameras. The waitor was shooting little green peas at them, so they would go away and wouldn't bother the customers. Tola and I definitely experience new things in India every day. :)




On the morning of our last day in Agra Tola and I woke up early to go to the Taj Mahal. The two of us were quite tired, but we cleared the sleep from our eyes and made our way to one of the most famous buildings in the world.


The Taj Mahal is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. The details of the building are beautiful, and as the sun rises and hits the building, it almost glitters in the light. As I walked closer to the Taj Mahal I became more impressed because the details became more noticeable and pristine. Tola and I enjoyed sitting on a bench near the Taj Mahal, and we observed the beautiful building and all of the tourists from all over the world.



After the Taj Mahal, our time in Agra felt complete. It was then time to pack our bags again and get ready for our next destination. As we left our hotel, an older man who seemed to be the grandfather figure of the hotel left us with some kind words to remember. He told us to bring India with us in our hearts and remember it forever, he also told us to return again to his home country. As his words entered our minds, we stepped into an auto rickshaw and headed to the Agra train station. Sitting in the rickshaw I felt like I began to notice everything in a different light as we drove along the dusty roads. The children smiled brightly as they played with their friends, and the horns of the cars seemed to be the music of the city.


Our next train ride will take us to Delhi for a couple of days. Tola and I are both looking forward to meeting up with our friend Phoenix. We know Phoenix from Korea, and it will be fun to see him during his holiday in India (he is from India).

Read Users' Comments (4)

4 Response to "Day 129 - Agra - The Taj Mahal"

  1. Diane M.Ed., on May 30, 2010 at 2:05 AM said:

    So glad that you are in India. Loved all the photos but especially the one of Em's shadow and Taj. Last Sunday I prayed with an Indian who works with throw away babies. He says that there are 15,000 babies thrown away every ten minutes or so. I think I would like to work in a ministry to children like this with Father A. and Dr. Rev. P.

  2. Yim, on May 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM said:

    Nice to hear from You! Fine writting and pictures.
    I remember Taj Mahal, I have also seen it in person!
    Don't you take your picture sitting on the famous seat in the garden(on the left)in front of the Taj Mahal?

  3. Emily, on June 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM said:

    Mom - I think that you should work in a ministry like that.

    Yim - I took Tola's picture sitting on the famous seat. :) We took way too many pictures of the Taj Mahal, but it was beautiful. Tola and I thought about you and your time in India. What city did you visit in the north??

  4. Yim, on June 2, 2010 at 5:16 PM said:

    Hi Em. I was in the north east of Delhi(border to Nepal). There are many mountains there every mountain has a name of god who left on... It's what the woman from Delhi told me.
    She was born in Old Delhi and left there untill she married with a Swedish and moved to Uppsala.
    I was also in front of the old Delhi train station, but never took the train in India. We travelled only in the rent cars for day.
    And we visited also the Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve in Uttarakhand (border to Tibet).

    I feel that one can not expect to have help in Delhi. Everyone think about itself, even the neighbours can steal somethings from you, your house.... It's very sad that it happens between the common habitants in a country.
    In Delhi, I had also visited a house there the "throw away babies" are left in a basket found in the house's wall along the street. These childreen lives there(I had also lunch with them) while they wait for the adoptions from all countries in the world.

    Very very sad live, maybe it depends on the over-crowding so that every individual(no rich) is not worth :(

    Hope you feel better in the north, cooler weather and more kind people (?).

    Have a good time before homecoming on June 19th at 9 a.m. in Arlanda.

Post a Comment