Day 67 - Bangkok - Currently the City of Endless Red Shirts

We arrived and we left Bangkok safely and calmly .. 5 1/2 nights spent. Our bus strategically dropped us off (along with a full bus of other tourists) far enough from Khao San Road to make us not want to walk the distance in the heat of 4 AM (yes I was very hot, sweaty, and cranky because of the lack of sleep), so we barely haggled with a tuk tuk and hopped in for a short drive to backpacker central. Guesthouses around Khao San seem to be used to having travelers arrive at all hours of the night, and they are very gracious to check in guests numerous hours before check in time. We found a guesthouse that seemed suitable enough to catch a few hours of sleep before the morning approached and the city awoke.

After getting some needed hours of sleep, it was time to step out onto the warm streets of Bangkok, and Tola and I felt at least ready to check out Khao San and its surroundings. For the first time during the past couple of months, I really felt that we were in the middle of backpacker madness (in a good way) as people from all over the world walked the streets shopping, eating, many looking for something new or perhaps for something that they had heard about from other travelers, friends, or guidebooks.

As some of you know, Thailand has been in the news lately because of political demonstrations that have been held for numerous weeks on the account of unhappy citizens. The demonstrators have been protesting against the government, and many of them have been gathering because of a decision that has been made against Thailand's past and favorable (for some) leader Taksin. Bangkok being the capital of Thailand has of course been the hub for all of the recent action that has taken place. As the largest gatherings were being organized, Tola and I arrived in Bangkok. Throughout our week in Bangkok (when we were near the center of the city) we saw trucks loaded with protesters, red shirts warn by most, and Taksin's picture on anything from posters to tea cups. Tola and I both became well aware that we were very close to something that could possibly be historic for Thailand's future. There definitely were devoted demonstrators, and I became curious as I wondered how they managed to take so much time off for this event ...

After spending three weeks on white sandy beaches and spending many hours swimming in beautiful warm ocean water, I wondered how it would feel being back in a large, hot, and crowded city, but the adjustment went just fine. I think I am a city girl after all ... :)Tola and I had planned on getting together with his dad and other members of his dad's family, so we were able to easily stay away from the political events taking place in the center of the city. We settled in for the week at Tola's Uncle Boon's house, and we had a busy week of exploring Bangkok. While we stayed at Uncle Boon's house, we also made a new friend named Beng. Beng is like a grandson to Tola's uncle, and we had fun spending time with him as we explored a new city. Tola and I had a great tour of Bangkok as we were taxied around and taken to many wonderful places. During the week with also met up with Tola's family friend Sune who has lived in Bangkok for over fifteen years. I felt overwhelmed as we were treated to many delicious meals and as we explored many unique places.

Some of the sights we visited during the week were the Crocodile Farm, the Erawan Museum (a magnificent art museum along with botanical gardens), Wat Phra Kew and the Grand Palace, the National Museum, many markets for shopping, and of course many restaurants that allowed us to taste the tastes of Thailand. On one day Tola and I also went to a park known as Lumphini Park. I enjoyed being a spectator of life throughout the park as we sat and chatted about past and future events. This also gave me a moment to think about all that we have seen during the past couple of months and of all that I have to be thankful for in my life.

During the past couple of months I have noticed that my love for small animals occasionally comes out, and I didn't even know that this existed within me, but it has made a short appearance during a couple of memorable times. :) While we were visiting the Crocodile Farm, Tola and I were also given the chance to hold a baby white lion, and this again showed me that sometimes I can have a heart for the little creatures .. they are not so intimidating after all ..

Throughout our trip there have been many moments that I have been able to take in the beauty that has been created before us. I have also found that there is also a kind of beauty that can be seen even in the midst of a big and overcrowded city. Sometimes you have to look a little harder, but I believe that it is always there ..

Read Users' Comments (2)

2 Response to "Day 67 - Bangkok - Currently the City of Endless Red Shirts"

  1. Diane, on March 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM said:

    So nice that you were able to see Tola's family during your visit to Thailand.

  2. Anonymous, on March 29, 2010 at 2:56 PM said:

    I have really enjoyed following your voyage.... thanks for sharing ...

Post a Comment